[MPlayer-users] Re: Problem playing some pre-recorded ASF streams

Stephen Stocker lpar at par1.net
Sat Dec 27 01:16:21 CET 2003

  Hi,
  I thought maybe the problem was your not having codecs.conf installed
  (it should be copied to the ~/.mplayer/ directory), but this stream
  still wouldn't work.

  However, changing the mms: to mmst: in the stream URL works fine. I've
  run into quite a few of those, btw. Hope this helps! There are still
  some weird streams around that don't do anything except give a
  "Connected" message. They appear to connect and then get immediately
  disconnected, judging from Netstat.

  Take care,
  Steve

> I continue to have problems playing some (but not all) pre-recorded
> ASF streams. Googling, I noticed that some others have also had the
> same problem but never received any response.
>
> Note that the same asf streams play *perfectly* well under xine and
> Windoze media player.
>
> I am running mplayer-1.0-0.5.pre2 with all the latest win32codecs and
> ffmpeg installed.
>
> It is not clear to me what is the root cause of the problem since even
> on a single site, I find that some stored asf streams play while
> others fail.
>
> Here is a sample output from trying to run mplayer on such a stream:
> -
> mplayer -v  mms://msmedia.a7.org/arutz7/shows/mitzad.wma
> MPlayer dev-CVS--3.3.2 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team
<snip>