[MPlayer-users] How to instruct mplayer to enable postprocessing with mpegpes? (NOVIRUS)

Ari Huttunen Ari.Huttunen at F-Secure.com
Fri Dec 12 17:05:27 CET 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 10:49:17AM +0200, Ari Huttunen wrote:
>>
>>The command line used to play the AVIs is like the following:
>>
>>/usr/local/bin/mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes -afm 9 -vop
>>lavc=5000:25.000,(*),expand=720:576:-1:-1:1,scale=720:576 -cache 4096 -slave
>>-nolirc -subpos 80 -sub-bg-color 0 -sub-bg-alpha 0 -quiet
>>/data/avi/hercule.avi
>

> Of course you can't postprocess with _passthrough_ video!

I don't know what you mean by 'passthrough video', except that it must
mean that it skips postprocessing. :) 'Passthrough' is mentioned once
in the manual, with regard to AC3.

Yes, the manual is better now. Thanks. Still.. If someone has
extra time and described what the different knobs really *do*, it
would be even better. Like, I'd like to know what mbqmax is supposed
to be doing, and how it relates to lmax and vqmax.

> If you want postprocessing, you'll have to decode and reencode. Try:
>
> mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes -vc mpeg12 -vf spp=6
>
> (or whatever postprocess you want to use). Keep in mind it will be
> slow... BTW don't use both pp and spp; it will give bogus results. If
> you want to use spp, forget about pp entirely because spp is much
> better (but slower).

That didn't help. First I tried exactly what I think you suggested:

mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes -vc mpeg12 -vf spp=6 whatever.avi

It said "Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format
0x58564944", and exited.

Then I tried it as follows:

mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes -vf spp=6 whatever.avi

This succeeds better. I get video on the TV. However, it doesn't
do any postprocessing. I notice in the output (-v) that it
says "Opening video filter: [lavc]", so it seems we are back where
we started.

If I take out the mpegpes stuff as well

mplayer -vf spp=6 whatever.avi

It does filter correctly, and outputs on a window. And is
WAAYY.. slow. My Athlon XP 2500+ can seemingly just handle
spp=2.

Ari