[MPlayer-users] Can mencoder write partial files while encoding?

Erik Slagter erik at oldconomy.com
Thu Aug 28 21:19:53 CEST 2003

> What causes me headaches is that mencoder is the only(!) program which is able
> to work with 4.8GB AVI file it created before, while avisplit (from transcode)
> seems to have a problem.

Tilmann has made a patch on my request to fix this issue. If you have a
giant avi with mjpeg video, avisplit is able to split it (have patience
though). The cvs version has the patch applied.

> Sometimes I really question about how far mencoder developers think
> forward in belong of practical usability. What does it help to code a great
> encoder when it lacks the minimal requirements? Every stupid Win Program does
> automated splitting into multiple files!

Well it seems that with the upcoming and past releases of mplayer g1 and
g2 nobody really cares about mencoder. This means that the only grabber
for linux that reliably grabs a/v is not quite versatile. Shame.