[MPlayer-users] v4l viewing/encoding

Jason Radford jradford at iconimaging.net
Sat Sep 21 20:31:01 CEST 2002

Hi all,

As a start I tried the options (reading the man pages) and was able to
watch tv via the following command:

mplayer -tv
on:noaudio:driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:norm=NTSC:outfmt=rgb32 -vo x11

Using -vo xv causes a solid blue border in 1/3 of the screen, and using
the manual's suggest commandline for colorspace problems yields the
same thing (blue border). (mplayer -tv on:driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:
outfmt=i420 -vc rawi420 -vo xv)

So being able to view tv with outfmt=rgb32 and the x11 driver is fine,
but mencoder is proving harder to figure out for me.

using the following command records video/audio, but it is very distored,
very blurred.

mencoder -v -tv on:driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:input=television :norm=NTSC:channel=8:outfmt=rgb32:volume=45000 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4
-oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr:br=128 -o test.avi

I've tried specifying the outfmt, leaving it out, and just cant seem
to get the right settings here, any help would be appreciated, I tried
looking through all the manuals for guidance but I seem to not
understand the problem.

Thanks,

-Jason