[MPlayer-users] resizing avi files to reduce size

Carsten Schultz carsten at gnocchi.dialup.fu-berlin.de
Sat Sep 21 13:50:02 CEST 2002

Hi Paco!

> 	I have a 770MB avi file and I'm trying to reduce the size to 700MB.
> The movie is 640x272, and I want to reduce the width to 600 and leave
> mencoder to calculate the heigth to keep aspect. I'm using this command
> line:
>
> mencoder file.avi -ovc divx4 -vop scale -xy 600 -sws 2 -oac copy -o output.avi

For scaling use `-vop scale=600:-2'.  (It might be better to use a
width divisible by 16, though.)  That, however, is not your problem.
You have to tell the divx4 codec what bitrate to use.  Read the manual
for that.

Carsten

--
Carsten Schultz, Fachbereich Mathematik, FU Berlin
http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~cschultz/