[MPlayer-users] Re: hwac3 with two channel AC3?

Robinson, Chad crobinson at rfgonline.com
Sun Sep 15 22:46:02 CEST 2002

> -ac mp3 _overrides_ your previous -ac hwac3, so it's just plain mp3 sw
> decoding, nothing with ac3 passthrough.

Sorry, yes, I asked that question backwards.

My REAL question is this: Can I have MPlayer automatically use 5.1-channel
surround via HWAC3 for movies encoded via that mechanism? It is true that
MP3 movies play fine if I don't use -ac hwac3, but AC3 movies then play in
2-channel mode, regardless of how many channels they contain.

Unless something is broken? This is with MPlayer-20020822, libavcodec
installed from ffmpeg, ALSA9, and otherwise fairly stock configure.

Thanks,
Chad