[MPlayer-users] state of the FAQs address

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Jun 11 22:09:03 CEST 2002

Citizens of MPlayer, your cooperation is needed!

As you will all be aware, the RTFM/RTFB/RTFFAQ situation has come to a
boil lately and new heights (lows) of idegness and disgust have been
reached on both sides of a rift running through the MPlayer
community.  YOU can help me bridge that gap with very little effort.
A lot of obvious and redundant questions get asked here, threatening
to bury developers under support requests that will eventually lead to
burnout.  But fear not, there is still hope!  A plan has been hatched
that promises to hold impending doom at bay!  What's more there are
prizes and glory to be won!  Impossible, you say?  Doubt not, here is
how:

* Answer one question in place of the developers - YOU can do it!
  Haven't we all learned something about MPlayer/MEncoder?

** Come up with a FAQ that is missing from faq.html and post it
   together with the answer into this thread.

*** Identify a part of the documentation that is incomplete,
    incomprehensible or wrong and describe the problem here.

**** Read DOCS/tech/patches.txt and send a patch containing a new FAQ +
     answer to the mplayer-dev-eng mailing list.

**** Read DOCS/tech/patches.txt and send a patch correcting, improving
     or adding to one of the weak spots of the documentation.

***** Review one of the many documents lying around in the DOCS/
      directory.  Most of them could use some loving.

***** Fire up your favorite text editor and start implementing your
      favorite missing feature and fixing your pet peeve.

How many stars do you want to earn for yourself?

What, you say, making this world a better place can be this easy?
Yes, I say, give us back a token of your appreciation for this great
program from which you have doubtlessly benefitted a lot.  And wait,
I did not forget about the prizes!  Here is what you can earn:

* A warm fuzzy feeling of having done good for the community.

** The knowledge of having contributed something back.

*** Our eternal gratitude.

**** A honorable mention on mplayer-cvslog and maybe even in the
     credits to show off in front of all your friends!

***** Stand out from the crowd, join the team and get one step closer
      to immortality!

Start earning stars today!  Collect as many as possible!  Compete for
stars, break each other's record!

Honestly, your contribution is welcome.  We need it and appreciate it
very much.

If our hearts stay pure we can stamp out RTFM in our lifetime!

Diego