[MPlayer-users] Extracting audio to multi-channel wav

Rémy Bruno remy.bruno at libertysurf.fr
Tue Jan 22 16:33:01 CET 2002

Hi,

I'm trying to extract the audio tracks of .vob files to a multi-channel wav (I
want to extract the full 5.1 channels in a wav file). I tried with the THX
trailer (with the guy flying :-). The trailer plays perfectly with audio and
video played in real-time (By the way, mplayer is really great job, and thanks
for the trick with the mtrr in the doc, it increases dramatically the speed!).

However, when I tried the '-ao pcm' option (even with the recommended "-vo
null -hardframedrop" options), the files plays *really* slowly (the speed goes
as slow as one frame maybe per 10 minutes!). I tried to extract the ac3 file
(with the extract_ac3 utility of ac3dec, and with the '-dumpaudio' option of
mplayer), but both coredumped before the end. And with the part extracted,
ac3dec coredumped. Moreover, ac3dec doesn't generate a 6-channel file but only
stereo.

So I haven't find yet a satisfying means to extract the 6 audio tracks to a wav
file. Do you have any idea?

By the way, I wonder what type of ac3 decoder is used in mplayer. I heard that
dolby decoders could be more or less efficient. How performant is the one used?

Thanks in advance,

Remy Bruno