[MPlayer-users] Illegal binaries...

Alex Kloss klossa at stud-mailer.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 8 11:22:23 CET 2001

Am Donnerstag, 8. November 2001 10:54 schrieben Sie:
> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>
> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Balazs Lengyak wrote:
> > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html
> > & http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or
> > problems]
> >
> > > yeah, source and binaries are just an information. Only one difference
> > > between source and binaries is that source can be read easier by human.
> > > So if source is legal than even binaries are legal but as has been said
> > > it's illegal to use it. BR
> >
> > But then an again, a binary is just ONE NUMBER. Large number, yes, but
> > still a natural number. Question is, how large numbers can be protected
> > by copyright? Say, I copyright 0, and Arpi copyrigths 1, and then on, no
> > binary could be released without our permission because every binary
> > consists of just our binaries in various order. ;)
>
> but then again, source saved in a file (not on paper) is also one large
> number ;) i can make a random generator that sooner or later (well, later
> :)) will produce the winboze source code, for example. have i stolen
> anything then? do i have to pay M$ to license the output of my random
> generator? :) am i going to jail if it generates a binary decss?
>
> i know! let's make random number generators illegal! those sneaky bastards!
> :)
No. Building a binary would be usage of the sourcecode, which is illegal!
Numbers themselves are not illegal. Only if you'd try to execute what you got
out of /dev/urandom, you could possibly break a law... :-) I know this is
somewhat stupid, but I never said US law was very intelligent...