[MPlayer-users] Formal Bugreport, was...mencoder issues .60pre2

Chris Wertman cwertman at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 18:12:06 CET 2001

I am submitting a bug report with following
information included as per the bug report request
documentation.

This report reffers to my all so vauge problem of
mencoder pl
ayback of DVD encoded input
and things looking like video on acid, it clears about
every 10 secs and starts melting again.
(see

I tried -nosound as suggested to no change,
I encoded this with the following commands as stated
in DOCS , ALL get the same result

    mencoder -dvd 2 -ovc divx4 -oac mp3lame -divx4opts
br=1100 -o test.avi -pass 1
    mencoder -dvd 2 -ovc divx4 -oac mp3lame -divx4opts
br=1100 -o test.avi -pass 2

    mencoder -dvd 2 -o test.avi
    mencoder -dvd 2 -x 640 -y 480 -sws 2 -o test.avi

As I said, ALL output avi's suffer the same issues.

I had to upload a 4 meg slice, to see what artifacting
I speak of , the sky is especially odd for the 20cfx
light sequence.

and (no matter what encode line used above)I get all
the same result on playback, all other files play
fine, ones I had, ones I downloaded etc. EVERYTHING
but the one I encoded, no matter what command I use to
encode it.

I uploaded a test (My output from mencoder, and the
command to run it in the incoming FTP directory

CDWACIDtest.avi
ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.com/MPlayer/incoming/CDWACIDtest.avi

And the full output of

mencoder -v -dvd 2 -o test.avi
(I figured less options less issues to check and since
all encodes appear same)
CDWACIDtest.log

ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.com/MPlayer/incoming/CDWACIDtest.log

The DVD I was trying to encode was ID4.....

Here are system specs

    * linux distribution
      RedHat 7.2
    * kernel version:
      2.4.7-10
    * libc version:
      2.2.4
    * X version:
      4.1.0-3
    * gcc and ld version:
      3.0.2
      ( I even did the UNSPEAKABLE, and built with
2.96, still same issues)
      2.11.90.0.8
    * binutils version:
      2.11.90.0.8

NVidia card as follows
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation
NV11 DDR (rev b2) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
	Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 248,
IRQ 10
	Memory at dc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[size=16M]
	Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
	Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]
	Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0

Sound as follows
00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies,
Inc. AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
	Subsystem: Elitegroup Computer Systems: Unknown
device 0987
	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 5
	I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
	I/O ports at e000 [size=4]
	I/O ports at e400 [size=4]
	Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

I have tried it with BOTH nvidia 1541 and 2314 drivers
same results...
I have no problems with this system, my video rocks, I
pull 1250+ fps with gears, and can play Return to
Castle Wolfenstien just fine :)

I have been asked about the following and here goes
Some other things that may get asked so here they are

divx4linux-20011010_4.02 is the DivX4 Linux lib
libdvdcss-0.0.3
libdvdread-0.9.2
lame-3.90

ALSO , the -cache option seems to help for standard
DVD playback, I didnt see it in the docs and missed it
in the man page, Thanks,
BUT what is the optimal setting (or average setting)
for this in kb ?

Much thanks,

Chris Wertman

I also have another question in the docs it states you
have to download and install source tree for
libavcodec seperatly, but it appears in the tree, is
this just an out of date DOCS issue or am ( I tied
with the libavcoded encode as well, same damm thing am
I missing something in regards to libavcodec , hmm if
I take some acid will all this look ok , seems to be
an expensive fix...?